White Queso Dip is made with white Velveeta, pepper jack, diced green chiles, sausage,cream cheese, and milk to make it ultra cheesy!
This is a fantastic dip for football parties, potlucks, or summer BBQs! This is one of my favorites, along with Caramelized Onion Dip.
It's made in a slow cooker because the cheeses used need to be heated at a low temperature, slowly—low and slow, guys.
What Is White Queso Dip Made Of?
Queso Blanco literally means white cheese. There are a few ways to make white queso dip, but cheese that is white, a thinning agent such as cream or milk, and usually something to add flavor and spice like peppers are involved.
This recipe uses flavorful cheeses like pepper jack and white Velveeta, which makes this white cheese dip THE BEST. Also sausage because yum.
I tried this recipe SEVERAL times without Velveeta using other high-quality cheeses, but it simply has to have the emulsifiers in the fake stuff in order to have that gooey cheese dip texture. Otherwise it turns grainy and clumps due to separation of fats and milk proteins.
There are only 7 essential ingredients to this Queso Blanco, (including Velveeta) but if you want to add cilantro or salsa, feel free! The quantities are always in the recipe card below.
- Pepperjack Cheese - NOT pre-shredded! It has additives that cause caking.
- White Velveta Cheese - again, no pre-shredded cheese.
- Cream Cheese
- Ground Sausage - NOT Italian seasoned. The flavors will clash.
- Milk - whole
- Canned Diced Green Chiles - mild, medium, or hot to preference
- Garlic Powder
- Cilantro - for garnish
- Salsa - optional
Make sure you use a slow cooker or crock pot for this recipe. Heating this on the stove may cause the cheese to melt at too high of a temperature causing separation.
You could also use an instant pot with a slow cooker setting.
PREP INGREDIENTS I start by slicing/dicing all of the cheese (including the cream cheese) into smaller pieces. You can also grate it for quicker melting.
COOK SAUSAGE Cook the sausage over medium heat in a frying pan, stirring and breaking sausage into small pieces as it cooks, about 5 minutes until no pink is left and cooked through.
ASSEMBLE Combine pepper jack, white velveeta, cream cheese, and milk in a slow cooker, crock pot, or instant pot using the slow cooker setting on LOW heat. Stir in the diced green chiles and garlic powder as well.
COOK on low heat for 2-3 hours, occasionally stirring as cheese melts.
GARNISH with cilantro, salsa, or diced tomatoes. Be aware that stirring salsa in will turn your white queso dip pink!
🍽 Serving & Storage
White Queso Dip is best served warm! Leave it in a crock pot or fondue pot to serve on low heat or a warm setting so it stays warm.
What To Serve With White Queso Dip?
You can serve this white queso recipe as an appetizer, a topping for nachos, or as a side dish to any Mexican food! Here are a few ideas of what to dip in the white queso.
- Chips - white, yellow, or black corn tortilla chips are all my first choice!
- Vegetables - you can even dip veggies in it! My favorites are fresh baby carrots, cut celery, sliced bell peppers, or snap peas.
Once completely cooled, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Do not freeze. This will change the texture of the dip and make the sauce grainy when thawed due to the cheese.
✏️ Tips & Variations
- Want spicy? Add a diced jalapeno or hot canned green chiles instead of medium heat to your white queso dip.
- Garnish with your favorite salsa or diced Rotel tomatoes for a bit of a twist. Careful about stirring it in, though, it will turn your white queso pink!
- You can leave out the sausage for a meat-free version. But it is delicious!
What Kind of Cheese Can I use for White Cheese Dip?
One rule about cheese dip is that you absolutely have to use cheese with emulsifiers.
I would stick to cheeses with medium/low melting points and stay away from hard cheeses. For Velveeta queso blanco, I use at least half White Velveeta (you could also use white American cheese) and then equal parts cream cheese with another kind of cheese, like pepper jack.
There are many versions of this cheese dip; versions with other peppers like ghost peppers or poblano peppers. You could also use white cheddar. Just make sure that these other cheeses are used as a substitution for the pepper jack.
White Queso Dip
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 8 oz ground sausage, mild (not italian variety)
- 16 oz white Velveeta cheese
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 7 oz can of diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- cilantro, optional
- salsa or diced tomatoes, optional
- In a frying pan over medium/high heat, cook ground sausage about 5 minutes and break into small pieces, until cooked through and no longer pink. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Prepare ingredients by shredding or dicing cheeses (including cream cheese) into smaller pieces for quicker melting.
- Combine pepperjack, white Velveeta, and cream cheeses along with milk, green chiles, and garlic powder in the slow cooker with the cooked sausage.
- Cook on low heat 2-3 hours until cheese is completely melted, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with cilantro and/or salsa and serve warm.
I'm gonna be using this to make piles of restaurant-style nachos in my oven, THANK YOU!