Tuscan White Bean Soup or Italian White Bean Soup is a healthy 30 minute family dinner, packed with veggies and protein. Slow cooker/freezer friendly!
Tuscan White Bean Soup is one of my favorite dinners. If you know me at all, you know I love Italian food. LOVE. My husband and I went on a three week trip to Europe back in 2016 to Germany, Switzerland, and of course I made him take a few days to go to Italy because it was only a couple of hours away. I’m telling you, the food tastes different there. This soup brings back all of the wonderful smells and flavors that I love.
For this recipe, I went with mostly fresh ingredients. I usually make this soup with canned tomatoes and dried spices, but I love to use fresh ones when it’s in the budget.
How to make Tuscan (Italian) White Bean Soup:
- Melt butter in a large soup pot. Add chopped onion, carrots and celery. Cook covered for 6-8 minutes over medium heat stirring occasionally until softened. Add all spices.
- Add in tomatoes and white beans, simmer 15 minutes.
- Whisk together milk and flour, and stir into soup slowly. Simmer another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.
I have also used coconut oil, but butter is my preference. I learned the hard way to use medium heat when cooking the butter and garlic cloves, otherwise the butter will brown and the garlic will go bitter.Then I add the spices, beans, and tomatoes and let everything simmer for a few minutes while I prepare the milk and flour (or cornstarch if you’re gluten free). I do use chicken bouillon which is not gluten free. Chicken broth can also be substituted.My very favorite thing is to put freshly grated parmesan cheese allllll over the top. This soup also happens to pair fantastically with my recipe for Perfect Fluffy French Bread. Dunking bread in soup is one of my pastimes.
Tuscan White Bean Soup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onions, finely diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 cup carrots, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or 1 Tablespoon dried
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups (or 2 cans, 14.5 oz) tomatoes, diced
- 3 cans (14.5 oz) white navy beans, drained
- 2 cups milk (I used 1%)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (or 2-1/2 Tablespoons corn starch)
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan, more for garnish
- Heat large soup pot over medium heat and add butter to melt.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, and spices and saute on medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Add all spices.
- Add tomatoes and white beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, whisk together milk and flour(or corn starch) in a small bowl. Slowly stir into the soup and simmer for another 10 minutes. Stir in the parmesan last, right before serving and garnish with more as desired.