Easy Sourdough Discard Crackers with garlic, fresh parmesan, and everything bagel seasoning on top for a perfect finish.
Sourdough Discard Crackers
If you have a sourdough starter, you know that when you feed it you have an excess amount of discard to keep your starter healthy. It can be painful to throw it away, and there are so many sourdough starter discard recipes like this one to prevent waste! Sourdough crackers are so easy to customize and EAT.
This recipe uses discard that is "unfed" or has been fed but is now past its prime time for baking with. Since I'm sure you're dying to know, mine is named Philoctetes, or Phil.
Ingredients needed for sourdough discard crackers
Here's a basic list of what you need to make sourdough crackers.
- Sourdough discard - unfed, stirred and preferably room temperature.
- Flour - I use a mix of half whole wheat and half white all purpose flour.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Spices! A mix of salt, garlic, and everything bagel seasoning for the end.
- Fresh grated parmesan.
Instructions for how to make sourdough discard crackers
These crackers could not be any easier. The steps are simple:
- Combine dry ingredients
- Add oil and sourdough discard
- Add in fresh parm
- Divide and let rest to relax gluten strands, this makes it easier to roll out, about 30 minutes.
- Roll THIN. 1-2 mm or the thickness of an American penny.
- Sprinkle with seasoning, roll with pin to set seasoning into dough.
- Cut into squares using pizza cutter or ravioli roller.
What to eat with sourdough crackers:
They go with everything really. But here are a few ideas to get you started!
- Any kind of hummus or savory dip.
- Pair up with your favorite cheese or make any charcuterie board SO FANCY with homemade crackers.
- Use in place of croutons in a Golden Beet Salad with Miso Dressing or another fave salad.
- Soups galore! A few of our favorites are Tuscan White Bean Soup or Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup.
📝 Printable Recipe
Sourdough Discard Crackers
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose white flour
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sourdough discard (unfed)
- 2 oz parmesan cheese fresh grated
- 2 Tablespoons Everything Bagel seasoning
- In a bowl, combine wheat flour, white flour, garlic powder, and salt.
- Add olive oil and sourdough discard, and mix well. Last add in the grated parmesan cheese and knead until well combined.
- Shape into disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and let rest 20-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 4 portions. Roll one portion thinly, 1-2 mm thick, about the thickness of a penny. Sprinkle ½ Tablespoon Everything Bagel seasoning over dough evenly and roll over with rolling pin to press into dough. Repeat with other sections of dough.
- Cut into small squares (about 1 inch) with pizza cutter or ravioli cutter, and transfer to baking sheet(s) using spatula, so edges of crackers do not touch.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness. Crackers should be barely golden. Brown crackers are overdone.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: