Shrimp Corn Chowder is an easy seafood soup recipe with potatoes, carrots, corn, and shrimp with a creamy savory base.
There is plenty of shrimp, and this chowder is creamy without being too rich. It's made with mostly milk and broth so it's on the lighter side. It's also loaded with some of my favorite vegetables (HEY POTATOES).
This is a simple list of ingredients for shrimp corn chowder; the measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Shrimp - cooked, peeled, de-veined small or medium.
- Corn - fresh or frozen
- Potatoes - red, russet, or Yukon gold work well.
- Chicken Broth
- Chicken Bouillon
- Salt & Pepper
- Whole Milk
- Flour - all-purpose
- Green Onions (optional, for garnish)
It is SO EASY to make this seafood chowder on the stovetop, but you can also make it in a slow cooker. Here's the basic list of instructions.
START by sautéing the corn, onion, potatoes (I leave the skins on for nutrition benefits), and carrots together with the butter in a large pot, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes until mostly tender.
ADD in the spices: garlic, paprika, thyme, chicken bouillon, salt, and pepper. Then add in chicken broth and shrimp and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
PRO TIP: To cut down on prep time, use frozen shrimp that is tail-off and has been de-veined.
MAKE SLURRY by whisking together milk and flour in a small bowl, then pour slowly into simmering chowder. Stir and simmer until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
SERVE with chopped bacon, green onions, and please oh please some crusty bread or cheesy biscuits!
- Want spicy shrimp chowder? Add in ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes while the chowder is simmering.
- More veggies? Add in green peas, sliced zucchini when it's in season, or diced celery for some added greens.
What to serve with Shrimp Corn Chowder
- Have you ever made Sourdough Discard Crackers? They are SO easy and delicious! They're amazing with this chowder.
- Cheesy toast or crusty bread would also be perfection.
- Roasted Broccoli Salad is one of our favorite side dishes, it goes well with this easy seafood soup!
More Creamy Soup Recipes
Need a few more delicious creamy soup ideas? I got you!
Shrimp and Corn Chowder is one of our favorite easy soup recipes. I hope you like it as much as we do!
📝 Printable Recipe
Shrimp Corn Chowder
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb small shrimp, cooked, tail-off, de-veined
- 3 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Optional: chopped bacon and green onions to serve.
- In a large pot over medium heat melt butter, then add the onion, corn, potatoes, and carrots together with butter in a large pot, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes until mostly tender.
- Add minced garlic, salt, chicken bouillon, thyme, paprika, and ground pepper and stir together.
- Add chicken broth and shrimp (rinse first) to the chowder, cover, and simmer over low/medium heat for 20-25 minutes, stirrin occasionally.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk and flour. Slowly pour into simmering chowder and stir. Simmer 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Serve with chopped bacon and green onions.
p style="text-align: center;">