An Italian Chicken Zucchini Mushroom Skillet is an easy, healthy, 30 minute low carb family dinner. Add tomatoes, fresh parmesan and basil for best results.
Originally Published April 18, 2018.
Vegetables are just starting to go on sale and I love it. Now that Valentines and Easter (and Christmas and New Years) are over I feel like we can finally tone down our junk food intake. We’ve been eating a lot. Since Italian food is far and away my favorite food to eat ever, I made a simple Italian chicken zucchini and mushroom stir fry skillet dinner that is healthy, low carb, and gluten free. It’s pretty weight watchers friendly too now that I think about it. It’s just a healthy dinner. Sometimes when I’m feeling generous I’ll make my Cheddar Garlic Biscuits to go with it. The Mancub doesn’t usually like vegetables unless they’re taking a bath in butter and salt but he loved these ones.
How to make an Italian Chicken Zucchini Mushroom Skillet:
- Heat large oiled skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and brown for 5-7 minutes.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms, and spices, cook for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Add 3-4 TB of your favorite italian dressing (our favorite is Olive Garden brand, gluten free).
- Top with fresh parmesan and basil.
I usually slice the chicken into bite sized pieces for this recipe, and then use grape tomatoes sliced in half. I like to use a variety because the yellow ones are so sweet and delicious.Normal button mushrooms are great for this recipe, I use brown or white depending on my mood. I slice the zucchini matchstick style in 3 inch strips.
A few important tips to make this dinner amazing:
- Use fresh vegetables! Frozen ones are not your friends.
- Add the tomatoes last so they don’t turn to mush as everything else is cooking.
- Use fresh parmesan to sprinkle on top. SO yummy.
The last tip is to make a double batch and save some for a healthy lunch the next day. It tastes amazing the day after too!
Italian Chicken Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet
An Italian Chicken Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet is a healthy, low carb family dinner. With tomatoes and parmesan, it's delicious!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced in 3 inch strips
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 3-4 Tablespoons Italian dressing (I use Olive Garden brand)
In a large skillet, heat olive oil or butter on medium heat. Add chicken and let cook for 5 -7 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you are using cast iron or stainless steel, let the chicken cook until it unsticks from the pan, it will come loose when it is cooked on one side.
Add zucchini, mushrooms and all spices to the chicken. Cook another 5-7 minutes, until zucchini and mushrooms are tender. Add sliced tomatoes last and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Stir in your favorite italian dressing , 3-4 Tablespoons to taste.
Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Can be served plain or over cooked noodles or rice.