This Ham and Cheese Hashbrown Casserole is full of tender buttery potatoes, ham, melty cheesy eggs, and savory spices.
Cheesy hashbrowns casserole is one of our favorite weekend breakfasts, paired with Banana Cinnamon Rolls or pancakes.
This easy breakfast casserole is full of allll the good things. Eggs, ham, po-tay-toes, and CHEESE, my longtime love. Best of all, it only takes a few minutes to put together!
Here's the basics for the ham and cheese hash brown casserole. Measurements are always in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
- Hashbrowns - frozen
- Cheese - cheddar or colby jack
- Ham - pre-cooked, diced
- Butter - salted
- Milk - whole milk or 2% preferred
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chives or Green onion - for garnish
⏲ Baking Time
If using stone or ceramic bakeware, you'll need to accommodate for time needed to heat it up. This will add 5-10 minutes onto the baking time.
Stone and ceramic bakeware heat more evenly than metal and are wonderful to bake with! Please keep in mind that if you put COLD glass or ceramic bakeware in a HOT oven it may shatter, such as if you stored the dish in the refrigerator to bake the next morning.
START by spraying an 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Pour in hash browns (can be frozen or thawed). Sprinkle in the diced ham and half (1.5 cups) of the shredded cheese. Gently mix together.
MIX LIQUIDS In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until smooth, then add melted butter and mix well. Add in all spices: salt, ground pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
POUR Egg mixture over hashbrowns, ham and cheese and mix gently until everything is evenly coated. Sprinkle remaining half of cheese over the casserole.
BAKE at 375 for 35-40 minutes, until the middle is set and no longer liquid.
🍽 Serving & Storage
This casserole is best served warm out of the oven, and is an excellent stand alone breakfast! Here are a few more serving suggestions.
- Serve with sliced fruits - berries, melon, tomatoes, or bananas are all delicious.
- Condiments - ketchup, fresh salsa, tapatio or sriracha sauce.
STORAGE: If you have leftovers, cool to room temperature, transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
To Freeze: Cool to room temperature, transfer to an airtight container, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat, you can thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat in a microwave or in the oven in an oven-safe baking dish.
🥣 How to Make Ahead
To make this recipe ahead or the night before, prepare the recipe as directed and do not bake. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight before baking and serving. See recipe notes for baking time if refrigerated.
Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 9X13 inch baking pan
- 26 oz frozen hashbrowns 28-30 oz bags work as well.
- 3 cups shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- 8 oz diced ham (pre-cooked)
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup minced green onion or chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F if using metal baking pan. Grease 9x13 inch baking pan. If using glass/ceramic or making overnight, place pan the oven at the same time you turn on the oven so that it warms up slowly with the oven to prevent shattering glass. See recipe notes for overnight instructions.
- Place frozen hashbrowns into baking pan, then sprinkle half (1½ cups) cheese on top. Sprinkle diced ham over cheese and gently mix them together in the pan.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and melted butter and mix well, until smooth. Add in all spices and mix well. Pour over hashbrown, cheese, and ham mixture in pan. Gently mix together until combined.
- Sprinkle remaining 1½ cups of cheese over the top of the casserole and bake for 35-40 minutes, until set in the middle and no longer liquid. Sprinkle the top with green onions, slice and serve warm.