Ground Beef Stuffed Peppers are a healthy dinner filled with beef, tomatoes, pinto beans, rice, and layered with cheese.
Speaking of easy ground beef dinners, another with a special place in my heart is French Onion Ground Beef Sliders.
Best Stuffed Peppers Recipe
This is a stuffed bell peppers recipe that's a little sloppy joe-esque. It has a savory ground beef filling, with added pinto beans for fiber and protein and cooked brown rice with mozzarella cheese (always cheese) to make it a complete family meal.
It definitely could be a stand alone dinner but if you're wondering what to pair with stuffed peppers, a green salad or Soft Fluffy French Bread would work wonderfully.
Ingredients for ground beef stuffed peppers:
Here's what we're working with. Most of these are pantry staples, which makes this an amazingly easy recipe that's relatively low cost.
- 4 bell peppers - any color
- Ground beef or turkey
- Pinto beans
- Tomatoes - canned or fresh
- Mozzarella cheese - shredded
- Worcestershire sauce
How to make Ground Beef Stuffed Peppers
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Cook ground beef and diced onions in a large frying pan over medium/high heat, 5-7 minutes until beef is no longer pink and onions are soft.
- Add the rest: pinto beans, tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, vinegar, and brown sugar. Simmer 10 minutes on low heat to blend flavors.
- Prep bell peppers by slicing in half and remove seeds and steam for 4-5 minutes in a microwave, until semi-soft.
- Assembly time: place peppers into baking pan and begin by layering with first with cheese (extra goodness), then rice, then ground beef filling, then cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and peppers are soft.
How do you keep stuffed peppers from getting soggy?
I use a combination of a filling that is not overly saucy and brown rice in the bottom of the peppers which helps absorb any extra juices. White rice may also be used.
Do you have to cook ground beef before stuffing peppers?
For this recipe method, yes. I find it takes less time and the peppers don't overcook and become mushy this way.
Remember to tell me how it went if you tried them, and Pin the image below the recipe to save it for later. 💚
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes
Who doesn't need more easy dinners?? Here are a few ideas for you!
Ground Beef Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups cooked brown rice ( about 1 cup rice, 1-¾ cups water)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion medium
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce (or half of 15 oz. can)
- ¼ cup worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 green peppers
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- optional: chopped green onions for garnish
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking: In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef and diced onion 5-7 minutes until browned/no pink left and onions are soft, stirring to break ground beef into small pieces. (Measure spices during this time to decrease prep time) Drain excess grease.
- Add pinto beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and all spices (brown sugar, garlic & onion powder, salt & pepper). Turn to low heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, and prepare the bell peppers.
- Prepare bell peppers by slicing in half once down the middle lengthwise and removing seeds and stem to make a boat shape. To decrease cooking time in the oven, steam in the microwave by placing upright lengthwise in a microwave safe container, adding ½ cup of water to the bottom, covering and cooking for 4 minutes. The peppers should be semi-soft (not crunchy but not mushy).
Assemble the stuffed peppers:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place peppers open side up in a 9x13 baking dish. Layer the bottom of the peppers with 2 Tb shredded mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup between 8 peppers).
- Scoop ¼ cup rice into the bottom of each pepper, then ½ cup ground beef mixture into each pepper. Last, layer the remaining cheese evenly over the peppers, adding more as desired.
- Bake at 350 F. for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted, filling is heated through and peppers are soft. Optional: sprinkle chopped green onion on tops of peppers to serve.
p style="text-align: center;">PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: