Easy Chicken Pot Pie is cheap, easy, and ready in under an hour. Filled with mixed veggies, creamy sauce, and a quick flaky pie crust!
This recipe for easy chicken pot pie is as easy as it gets, short of using store-bought pie crust. This quick version literally takes minutes to whip up, roll out, and pop in the oven which is why I love it!
Sometimes I like to make everything homemade, down to peeling and slicing fresh veggies and making a homemade creamy sauce. And sometimes I don't have time so I make it as easy and quick as possible.
I usually pop the vegetables in the microwave to steam while I whip up the dough, which is just enough for a bottom and top crust. I use shortening for this recipe, but butter or margarine would work just as well
After the dough is made, it takes minutes to come together. I place the vegetables and canned or rotisserie chicken in, then smother them with the cream of chicken soup and usually some salt and pepper. Placing the top crust on and crimping is the last step. I use a basic crimping style for my pies, it's a smaller crimp because my fingers are small...
This is one of The Mancubs favorite dinners, and it works great with our budget which is a plus.
Someday I'll post my "more" homemade version but for now, this is the best recipe for when I'm in a time crunch!
This is also a favorite after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey in place of chicken!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Quick pie crust:
- 2 cups all-purspose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup shortening
- ¾ cup milk
- extra flour to roll out pie crust with
- 3 cups steamed mixed vegetables
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 12.5 oz can drained cooked chicken chunks or 1 heaping cup cooked chicken chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease 9 inch pie pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together. Stir in shortening with a fork until there are only pea-sized pieces. Stir in milk and mix to form the dough.
- Divide the dough into roughly half, one part slightly larger than the other for the bottom. Roll out the larger portion of dough into an even circle big enough for the pie pan and place in pan.
- Pour steamed vegetables into the pie crust, followed by the drained chicken. Spread the can of cream of chicken soup over both. Sprinkle on parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Roll out other portion of dough and place on top of the pie. Crimp edges together and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.