Double Chocolate Cookie Bars with M&M's are the perfect make ahead Christmas treat and are customizable for potlucks, bake sales, and other holidays!
These heavenly chocolate cookie bars are one of our(my) new favorite easy Christmas treats. I was able to whip them up in a few minutes and they take 25-30 minutes to bake, which is about the same as a batch of cookies but wayyy less effort. Huge plus when you need to make a quick party treat!
Pro tips for the best chocolate cookie bars:
- Cream the butter and sugar really well. It makes for fluffier, chewier bars.
- Don't skip out on the salt! Salt makes the other flavors POP.
- Use high quality butter, dutch processed cocoa powder, vanilla, and white chocolate chips. It really makes a difference!
- Add mint extract to the icing for a little extra loveliness. Ya welcome.
Process shots 1-4.
- The dough is still pretty soft and sticky. It's not as firm as normal cookie dough, and that's okay. Soft dough means soft bars!
- I sprinkle extra M&M's on top so they look fabulous out of the oven.
- Fabulous out of the oven.
- Icing on the bars is more of a mental thing for me. I like it. If it doesn't rock your socks, skip it!
The great thing about this recipe is how customizable it is. Valentines M&M's. St. Patricks Day green M&M's. Caramel filled M&M's. Peanut Butter M&M's. The possibilities are endless! And that is why it is my favorite. I'm toying with the idea of making a peanut butter version of these. or maybe a snickerdoodle caramel version. 😱 If you have inspiration for me, leave it in the comments below .👇🏻 👇🏻
If you're in need of Christmas morning breakfast ideas, I will leave Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls here just for you. They're worth it.