Double Chocolate Cookie Bars with M&M’s are the perfect make ahead Christmas treat and are customizable for potlucks, bake sales, and other holidays!
These heavenly chocolate cookie bars are one of our(my) new favorite easy Christmas treats. I was able to whip them up in a few minutes and they take 25-30 minutes to bake, which is about the same as a batch of cookies but wayyy less effort. Huge plus when you need to make a quick party treat!
Pro tips for the best chocolate cookie bars:
- Cream the butter and sugar really well. It makes for fluffier, chewier bars.
- Don’t skip out on the salt! Salt makes the other flavors POP.
- Use high quality butter, dutch processed cocoa powder, vanilla, and white chocolate chips. It really makes a difference!
- Add mint extract to the icing for a little extra loveliness. Ya welcome.
Process shots 1-4.
- The dough is still pretty soft and sticky. It’s not as firm as normal cookie dough, and that’s okay. Soft dough means soft bars!
- I sprinkle extra M&M’s on top so they look fabulous out of the oven.
- Fabulous out of the oven.
- Icing on the bars is more of a mental thing for me. I like it. If it doesn’t rock your socks, skip it!
The great thing about this recipe is how customizable it is. Valentines M&M’s. St. Patricks Day green M&M’s. Caramel filled M&M’s. Peanut Butter M&M’s. The possibilities are endless! And that is why it is my favorite. I’m toying with the idea of making a peanut butter version of these. or maybe a snickerdoodle caramel version. 😱 If you have inspiration for me, leave it in the comments below .👇🏻 👇🏻
If you’re in need of Christmas morning breakfast ideas, I will leave Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls here just for you. They’re worth it.
Double Chocolate Cookie Bars
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cups cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups M&M’s (plus more for top)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (plus more for top)
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 9X13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
In a stand mixer, combine butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. With cookie paddle attachment mix on high speed until light and fluffy, 2-4 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well.
In a separate bowl, sift or whisk together salt, baking soda, flour, and cocoa powder. Pour half into wet ingredients and mix slowly, then add other half. Stir in M&M’s and chocolate chips.
- Scoop into prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Spread extra M&M’s and chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes. Edges and middle should be firm and puffy. Cool at least 30 minutes before icing and slicing.
For Icing (optional)
In a small bowl combine melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, milk, and mint extract (optional). Mix well until smooth and creamy. Pour into small plastic bag and snip a corner off the bag. Drizzle icing over bars diagonally, then diagonally the opposite direction to form a lattice on top. Wait 15 minutes for icing to firm up slightly before slicing. Enjoy!
Can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.