This Deviled Egg Pasta Salad is filled with a tangy, creamy sauce, hard-boiled eggs, celery, and BACON for the perfect bbq side dish!
This is the perfect summer pasta salad recipe, and pairs well with other sides like Boursin Twice Baked Potatoes.
There are SO MANY variations for deviled eggs, this easy summer pasta salad recipe covers the basics, and there are a few variations for the adventurists out there.
My kids eat hard-boiled eggs like they're going out of style, so it's no wonder that they love deviled egg pasta salad. This is easy to whip up, and it tastes even better the next day in my opinion.
What You Need
It's a simple to list of ingredients for the deviled egg pasta salad/creamy sauce that goes on top.
- Pasta - small to medium variety such as elbow, shells, penne, or bowtie.
- Purple & Green Onion
- Sour Cream - or plain Greek yogurt for a higher protein option.
- Yellow Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic & Onion Powder
- Lemon Juice - fresh is best!
- BACON (!!) - optional but delicious.
If you prepare your ingredients ahead of time, this is a super quick pasta salad to put together. It's also easy to cook the eggs and pasta at the same time and start prepping the other ingredients while they are cooking.
PREPARE eggs by boiling for 8-10 minutes, then immediately drain and place in an ice bath until completely chilled, about minutes. Peel and chop into small diced pieces.
COOK pasta while the eggs are cooking according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process and cool the noodles down quickly.
MAKE the sauce by combining the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and all of the spices into a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
COMBINE the pasta, celery, purple onion, and chopped eggs into a serving bowl and pour the creamy sauce into the pasta salad mixture. Carefully mix together.
GARNISH optionally with chopped green onions or delicious cooked bacon.
Tips and Variations
- Add PICKLES. Sweet, Dill, Bread and Butter, they're all delicious! Just chop about ⅓ cup and stir them in!
- Add chopped olives. Green or black are my favorite, but kalamata would also be delicious!
- Want it spicy? Add a chopped fresh jalapeño for a bit more heat and spice.
How to Store
You can make ahead and refrigerate deviled egg pasta salad for up to 3 days.
I do not recommend freezing, the consistency of the noodles and sauce could become soggy and grainy. No one wants that!
Eat fresh or the next day for the best taste. It's better the next day after the flavors have had time to marinate together!
More Easy Side Salads
Need more ideas for side salads for a bbq or side dish for a potluck? I got you covered!
- Creamy Lemon Pasta Salad Recipe
- Roasted Broccoli Salad
- Golden Beet Salad with Balsamic Miso Dressing
- Blackberry Pear Salad
Deviled Egg Pasta Salad
- 8 oz dry macaroni pasta
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped purple onion
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onion (optional)
- ½ cup chopped bacon pieces (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, then drain an rinse in cold water immediately to stop the cooking process and cool the noodles down.
- Boil eggs for 12-15 minutes, then place immediately in ice bath for 5 minutes to cool down. Peel eggs, then dice into small pieces.
- While the noodles and eggs are cooking and cooling, chop celery and purple onions.
- Make the sauce by combining mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and all spices in a bowl. Mix well.
- Assemble the pasta salad by mixing together the pasta, celery, and purple onions. Then add in the sauce and gently stir until well mixed.
- Optional: top with chopped green onions and bacon. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Leave a Reply