Creamy White Chicken Chili is an easy family dinner that uses simple ingredients. 30 minute chili and Crock Pot friendly.
Originally published August 30, 2017.
My favorite time of year is coming!! FALL. Fall weather means chili. Black bean chili, beef chili, turkey chili, allllll the chili. This is my favorite recipe for Creamy White Chicken Chili. It’s a twist on a classic, and completely delicious. I usually make it when I want to mix things up a little for dinner. This is a MILD chili. I occasionally add a jalapeno or a small 4.5 oz can of green chilis for a little extra spice.
When I make it on the stovetop, I like to let it simmer for at least half an hour after all of the ingredients are in the pot, to let the chicken cook and soften a little. It’s more tender the longer you let it cook. I usually make some of our favorite fluffy Corn Bread to go with it.
This is a simple chili recipe, with pretty simple ingredients. Mostly pantry staples. You can use frozen and canned vegetables or fresh, same with spices. When they’re available I love to use fresh herbs and spices but they’re usually more expensive and don’t last nearly as long as dried herbs.
First I begin by cooking the chicken, onions, and diced green pepper together. Next I add the spices, followed by the corn, chicken broth, greek yogurt (or sour cream) and beans. Last I add the thickening mixture called a “slurry”. I use milk and flour or cornstarch whisked together.
How to customize white chicken chili:
- Add your favorite toppings! I love to add cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, avocados, cilantro, and sometimes some red pepper flakes.
- For a little extra spice, add a small can of green chiles or 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes with the spices.
- Add different varieties of peppers! Spicy or sweet, they’re both delicious.
I’ve made a quick version and a slow cooker version and both work great! Really it depends on preference and how much time you have. Make sure for the crock pot you cook it on high for at least 4 hours.
Be sure to try some of my other fall recipes!
White Chicken Chili
Creamy White Chicken Chili is a creamy, savory, easy dinner that uses simple ingredients for an amazing taste! 30- minute version and Crock Pot version.
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 raw chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder or 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper or more for taste
- 3 15 oz. cans white beans
- 1 15 oz. can corn or 2 cups fresh or frozen
- 8 oz. sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock can be made using 1 tsp chicken bouillon and 1 cup of water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Heat medium to large cooking pot on the stove with 1 Tbsp oil in the bottom.
Cook chicken, diced onion, green bell pepper, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper on medium high heat until chicken and vegetables are cooked through, 5-7 minutes.
- Add white beans, corn, sour cream, and chicken broth. Heat until simmering.
Separately in a small bowl, whisk together milk and flour well.
Slowly pour into simmering chili, stirring constantly. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve warm with cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, or avocados for maximum deliciousness.
For a slow cooker version, simply mix all ingredients together in a crock pot and cook on high 3-4 hours, stirring every hour or two.