A creamy Orzo Pasta Recipe with garlic roasted asparagus and tomatoes, loads of parmesan, a divine amount of butter, and Boursin cheese.
Is there anything better than cheese and pasta?! Nay. Nay I say. Unless you're in the mood for MORE carbs, then by all means pair it with the most perfect Soft Fluffy French Bread.
Creamy Orzo Pasta
Orzo pasta recipes are an obsession. This is an easy to customize creamy orzo that you'll swoon over! I make it with creamy soft boursin cheese to make it extra delicious. And did I already mention the PARMESAN?? It's simply lovely. This recipe feeds 4-5, but can easily be doubled or halved to fit your needs. I double it for myself, no judgies.
What is orzo?
Orzo is a type of pasta, shaped just like long grain rice. It is a little larger when boiled, and has a very mild flavor just like other plain pasta noodles.
Is Orzo the same as risotto?
No, Orzo and Risotto are not the same thing. Risotto is a creamy italian dish made with a certain type of rice (Arborio) and rich broth. Orzo is simply a type of pasta that is shaped like long grain rice. Orzo can however be used as a substitute for arborio rice in a risotto recipe.
Ingredients needed for orzo pasta recipe
Here's the grocery list for this orzo recipe, it's not a long list, especially if you already have several of the ingredients on hand. Printable recipe below as always.
- Orzo - can be found in most stores with the pastas.
- Vegetable or Chicken Broth - can use water in place of broth.
- Tomatoes - grape tomatoes or small heirloom tomatoes are perfect for roasting in this recipe.
- Boursin Cheese - Garlic and Fine Herb flavored soft gournay cheese.
- Fresh basil
- Milk - for the sauce
- Garlic - fresh minced
- SO MUCH Parmesan - fresh grated. I PLEAD with you to get fresh, don't use the preserved bottled variety.
- Olive oil, Salt & Pepper
How to cook Orzo:
Cooking orzo is just like cooking other types of pasta. It's so easy! Here are the basic instructions of how to cook orzo along with the rest of the recipe.
- Preheat oven & heat broth in a medium/large pot until simmering.
- Roast the asparagus and tomatoes in garlic & olive oil while the broth heats.
- Add Orzo pasta to the simmering broth and cook for 7-9 minutes, until al dente.
- Remove from heat, stir in Boursin (gournay cheese), milk, parmesan cheese, and butter. Salt and pepper as desired.
- Top with roasted asparagus and tomatoes, add a liberal amount of fresh basil and even MORE parmesan, don't be stingy.
What to serve with orzo pasta
There are a variety of side dishes that go with orzo, here are a few I love. There are some delicious greens as well as more carbs because well, it's me.
More Easy and Delicious Pasta Recipes
Here are a few more unique pasta recipes for you to try. These are some of our favorites!
Creamy Orzo with Roasted Asparagus
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 lb Asparagus
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 8 oz orzo pasta
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 (5.2 oz) box Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Gournay Cheese
- ½ cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
For the Asparagus & Tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- On a large baking pan place rinsed and trimmed asparagus, tomatoes, and minced garlic.
- Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and stir to coat evenly, then lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until asparagus is tender.
For the Orzo:
- Meanwhile prepare orzo by adding the broth to a medium pot, heating to boiling, adding pasta, and cooking 5-7 minutes until al dente and pasta has completely absorbed liquid.
- To the pasta add butter, boursin cheese, grated parmesan cheese, and milk. Stir in gently until everything melts together smoothly.
- To serve, stir in asparagus and tomatoes or place on top of individual servings of orzo pasta. Add grated parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: