This quick and easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats recipe has protein powder, natural sweetener, bananas, walnuts, and a little extra chocolate.
Has there ever been a more beautiful combination than chocolate and peanut butter?? Nay, nay I say. It’s a classic flavor combo, and now it’s in the form of a healthy, easy to make breakfast that even the busiest can fit into their schedule to prepare. Easy Overnight Oats are amazing – it’s like eating dessert, but for breakfast!
What are overnight oats?
Overnight oats are a cold oatmeal or porridge with a texture similar to rice pudding or even tapioca pudding, made by mixing regular old fashioned oats or even steel cut oats with liquid and a few other ingredients and letting them rest overnight (or at least a few hours). In the morning they’re a lovely dessert-like pudding texture! They’re my favorite no cook, no bake method of making oatmeal, especially in the summer.
What makes overnight oats so great?
- Healthy and hearty – they are very nutrient dense, and help you feel FULL for LONGER. Pretty much a superfood if you add in the right ingredients. You can add chia seeds, ground flax meal, wheat bran, or hemp hearts for extra omegas and complex carbohydrates. Add protein powder or collagen for an added nutritional boost!
- Easy to meal prep – overnight oats are SO EASY to make in bulk and make ahead! They are the perfect on the go breakfast. They take ten minutes to prepare.
- Easily customizable – you can substitute many ingredients to fit your dietary and allergy needs. You can also reduce or leave out the sweetener completely. It will change the taste for sure but hey, less sugar!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats Ingredients
Here’s what we’re working with:
- Oats – can be gluten free
- Cocoa Powder
- Milk – dairy or plant based
- Greek Yogurt- plain, can be substituted with plant based milk
- Powdered Peanut Butter – it’s less calories and fat than regular peanut butter, but still has plenty of protein and flavor!
- Sweetener – honey, agave nectar, or other neutral flavored liquid sweetener.
- Optional toppings: bananas, peanut butter, nuts of choice, dried fruit, etc.
Here’s instructions for how to make super easy chocolate peanut butter overnight oats. It really is so simple!
- Mix together the dry ingredients: oats, cocoa powder, peanut butter powder, and optionally chocolate protein powder.
- Add in the wet ingredients: milk, yogurt, sweetener, and vanilla.
- Mix until combined and cover. You can store 3-5 days in the refrigerator or until the expiration date of your milk/yogurt.
Overnight Oats Substitutions and Variations:
- Sweetener – I prefer to use agave nectar or honey because of their mild flavors, but you could use pure maple syrup, coconut sugar, brown sugar, stevia, or a different neutral flavored sweetener.
- Milk – I prefer dairy or almond milk, but you could use any nut or oat milk as well, or even water. Using water will impact flavor, so I don’t recommend it.
- Chocolate Protein Powder – you can reduce or leave it out altogether, I add it for the extra protein boost. You could also use a different flavor of protein powder. You can use a plant or dairy based protein powder, your choice.
- Plain Greek Yogurt – I add this for creaminess, if you have dairy allergies I recommend just replacing it with the plant based milk of choice.
More easy, healthy make ahead recipes:
Here are a few of my favorite recipes to prepare ahead for when my schedule is busy!
This recipe is so easy and delicious, it really does make a great breakfast OR dessert!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- ⅓ cup old fashioned regular oats
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons chocolate protein powder
- 1 Tablespoon powdered peanut butter
- ⅓ cup milk of choice (dairy or plant based)
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon sweetener of choice (agave nectar, honey, maple syrup)
- optional toppings: walnuts, chocolate chips, bananas, peanut butter
- In a sealable jar or container, mix together oats, protein powder, cocoa powder, milk, yogurt, vanilla, sweetener of choice, and salt.
- Top with optional toppings, cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: