Creamy Chicken Mushroom Wild Rice Soup is a healthy dinner packed with fall veggies, chicken, and is an easy family meal that is crock pot friendly.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
We're really enjoying the slightly different flavor of the wild rice and brown rice combo in this soup. It's also better for you than white rice, which is an added benefit. The macros in this soup are amazing, the butternut squash, peas, and mushrooms also give it an amazing flavor profile. I also use aromatics like carrots and celery and a little bit of fresh thyme to lift this soup to a lovely level!
Ingredients for Creamy Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
Here's the basic list of what we're working with:
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Butternut or acorn squash
- Button mushrooms
- Brown & wild rice mix
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
How to make this soup
Here are the basic steps for making this amaaaazing soup!
- Saute the chicken and onions together to seal in all of that delicious chicken flavor.
- Add the broth, wild rice/brown rice, and vegetables, and spices and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the rice is soft.
- Add the thickening mixture of milk and flour to make the soup lovely and creamy.
To make this an easy slow cooker soup, simply combine all ingredients in a crock pot or slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
Variations of Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup:
- For a vegetarian option, simply omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth/bouillon.
- For a gluten free option, make sure to use 1-2 TB cornstarch instead of flour to thicken.
- Use a variety of mushrooms and other fall vegetables! I've used acorn squash, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and parsnips.
- Creamy soup isn't for everyone, if you wish to omit the dairy and flour, simply replace the milk with the same amount of chicken or vegetable broth.
Other Fall Soup Recipes to try:
We're all about the best fall soup recipes! Nothing like tucking in to a cozy bowl of soup. Here are some of our favorites!
Be sure to comment below and pin the recipe if you enjoyed it! 👍🏻
Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (approx. 1.5 pounds) diced into bite size pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup mixed wild & brown rice
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups butternut or acorn squash, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1.5 cups milk
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium heat. Add diced chicken and onions, and cook until onions are soft and chicken is cooked through.
- Add chicken broth, rice, peas, mushrooms, squash, carrots, celery, and all spices. Bring soup to boil, then turn to low heat, cover, and let simmer for 30-40 minutes until rice is soft.
- Whisk together milk and flour in small bowl, making sure mixture is smooth. Slowly pour into soup, stirring constantly. Cook for another 5 minutes, until soup has thickened.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: