Creamy Chicken Mushroom Wild Rice Soup is a healthy dinner packed with fall veggies, chicken, and is an easy family meal that is crock pot friendly.
My mushroom loving self adores this soup. Lately I’ve been making more foods with a wild rice/brown rice combo, and I’m really enjoying the slightly different flavor. It’s also better for you than white rice, which is an added benefit. My favorite way to serve this is with some of my Fluffy French Bread or with some crusty sourdough bread. I begin by sautéing the chicken and onions together to seal in all of that delicious chicken flavor. Then I add the broth, wild rice/brown rice, and vegetables, and spices and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the rice is soft. Last, I add the thickening mixture of milk and flour to make the soup lovely and creamy. To make this an easy slow cooker soup, simply combine all ingredients in a crock pot or slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
Variations of Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup:
- For a vegetarian option, simply omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth/bouillon.
- For a gluten free option, make sure to use 1-2 TB cornstarch instead of flour to thicken.
- Use a variety of mushrooms and other fall vegetables! I’ve used acorn squash, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and parsnips.
- Creamy soup isn’t for everyone, if you wish to omit the dairy and flour, simply replace the milk with the same amount of chicken or vegetable broth.
Other Fall Soup Recipes to try:
Be sure to comment below and pin the recipe if you enjoyed it! 👍🏻
Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (approx. 1.5 pounds) diced into bite size pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup mixed wild & brown rice
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups butternut or acorn squash, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium heat. Add diced chicken and onions, and cook until onions are soft and chicken is cooked through.
- Add chicken broth, rice, peas, mushrooms, squash, carrots, celery, and all spices. Bring soup to boil, then turn to low heat, cover, and let simmer for 30-40 minutes until rice is soft.
- Whisk together milk and flour in small bowl, making sure mixture is smooth. Slowly pour into soup, stirring constantly. Cook for another 5 minutes, until soup has thickened.