Cheesy Baked Asparagus with crispy, buttery, lemon panko breadcrumbs and melty mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Oven roasted asparagus with garlic, parmesan, and breadcrumbs with lemon zest is my new recipe for happiness. Add in the melty mozzarella and WHOA.
Here's what we're working with for easy cheesy baked asparagus. Find the measurements in the recipe card below!
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Butter - salted
- Panko Breadcrumbs - plain flavor
- Garlic Powder
- Lemons - juice and zest of
- Mozzarella Cheese grated
- Parmesan Cheese - fresh grated
Here are the basics for how to make roasted asparagus with garlic breadcrumbs.
PREHEAT AND PREP Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F. Wash and trim the asparagus to remove any tough ends, leaving the tender stalks.
COOK ASPARAGUS Place the asparagus on a greased baking sheet and drizzle 1-2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over the asparagus. Toss lightly to coat thoroughly, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
BAKE the asparagus at 375 F for 15-17 minutes until tender. Remove and sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese over the top of the asparagus and return to the oven for another 2 minutes to melt. Or you could broil for minute to give the cheese a a little color and delicious crispy bits.
COOK BREADCRUMBS While the asparagus is cooking. Start by melting butter in a frying pan over medium heat, then adding Panko breadcrumbs.
STIR breadcrumbs occasionally and cook 5-7 minutes until they're evenly golden brown. Then add in garlic powder and lemon juice. Toast over medium heat for another minute or two to crisp up.
SPREAD the lemony toasted panko breadcrumbs over the melted cheesy asparagus, and sprinkle lemon zest over the top. Serve warm and crispy!
Tips and Variations
- Add more crunchies! My favorite thing to add is pine nuts or pistachios, toasted right along with the breadcrumbs.
- Sub the lemon for a drizzle of worchestershire sauce or balsamic glaze on top of the whole dish. Totally different flavor profile and SO GOOD.
- Be sure to grease the baking sheet before adding the asparagus, to prevent it sticking to the pan during roasting. You could also flip the asparagus halfway through the baking to ensure even cooking.
Storage of Leftovers
Cheesy baked asparagus is best served warm and crispy, but if you have leftovers you can store refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 days.
To reheat, pop in the oven on a baking sheet for 5-7 minutes in a preheated oven (350 F should do it) to make the breadcrumbs crispy again.
If you don't mind softer breadcrumbs, you can reheat in the microwave for a minute or two.
Cheesy Baked Asparagus
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a baking sheet.
- Wash asparagus and trim any tough ends off, leaving the tender part of the stalk. Transfer to baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and lightly salt and peper.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until asparagusis tender. Remove from oven and sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese over asparagus, then return to oven for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese.
- While asparagus is baking, prepare panko breadcrumbs by heating a skillet over medium heat with butter. Pour in breadcrumbs and toast crumbs, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes until browned evenly. Add in garlic powder and lemon juice, cooking for 1-2 more minutes to crisp up.
- Sprinkle lemony breadcrumbs over the roasted cheesy asparagus, then sprinkle lemon zest over breadcrumbs last. Serve warm.