Originally published October 7, 2017.
Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodle recipe for a chewy cookie, stuffed with delicious caramel and coated in cinnamon sugar.
Stuffed snickerdoodles are the cookies of your dreams, and they don't even have chocolate. (whaaat!) Being stuffed, they are a delicious relative of my Strawberry Pop Tart Cookies and Biscoff Filled Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, both of which are some of the best cookies to make, like, EVER.
Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodles
This soft and chewy snickerdoodle recipe is made without cream of tartar, an ingredient sometimes used to aid in leavening or activating the baking soda in this type of cookie. No need for it here!
Caramel is the star of this show, and it's wrapped up in a pillowy soft cookie, and best eaten warm from the oven while the caramel is lovely and melty.
I add a little extra cinnamon to the dough to kick it up a notch, and WOW! Yumazing.
These cookie ingredients are commonly stocked pantry items, with the exception of the caramels. Full printable recipe is below!
- Light brown sugar
- White granulated sugar
- Butter, salted
- Vanilla extract
- Large egg
- A little salt
- Baking soda
- Flour - all purpose
- Caramels - Soft baking square caramels such as Kraft brand.
Here are the basics of how make and stuff cookies with caramel.
- Cream together butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt; mix well.
- Add baking soda and flour last, mix until combined.
- Scoop, fill with caramel, and roll evenly until caramel is completely covered.
- Roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.
Tips for caramel stuffed cookies:
These tips can make your cookie stuffing journey a little easier.
- Make sure the dough is a soft play dough consistency and not sticky! Dough that is not quite thick enough will leak caramel during baking.
- Wrap caramels evenly in dough! This ensures little to no leakage.
- They're best served fresh and warm, when the caramel is nice and melty.
- DON'T put these in the fridge to store, the caramel will be too hard to chew. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
More of my favorite cookie recipes:
It's always cookie season over here! Enjoy some of our family's tried and true, favorite cookie recipes.
- Pistachio Pudding Mix Cookies
- Biscoff Filled Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Butterscotch Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Pudding Mix Cookies
📝 Printable Recipe
Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodles
- 1 cup salted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (up to ¼ cup extra)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- about 30 unwrapped soft caramels
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare baking sheet(s) with baking mat, parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Using stand or hand mixer, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping sides occasionally.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Add to creamed butter mixture. Add up to ¼ cup extra flour to make sure dough is not sticky.
- Using 1.5 inch scoop, scoop dough into balls and press center of balls with thumb to make a hole. Roll caramels into the cookie dough balls, covering COMPLETELY.
- In small bowl, combine ¼ cup white sugar and cinnamon. Roll dough balls in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 350F for 10-11 minutes.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: