Caramel Stuffed Pumpkin Mug Cake recipe for my FAVORITE quick and easy fall dessert. This easy mug cake is ready in less than 5 minutes!
I’ve made this mug cake dozens of times now, and out of all of the variations I’ve tried pumpkin is by far my favorite. I’ve changed my prep methods over the years, and I’ve perfected it.
How to make pumpkin mug cake
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a 12 oz. microwave safe mug. This includes pumpkin, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the sugar and spices with a pinch of salt, followed by the flour and baking powder. Mixing the wet ingredients first ensures there are no pockets of dry ingredients at the bottom. Add mini chocolate chips (optional) at this point.
- Poke TWO caramels (double the goodness) into the middle of the mix, one on top of the other.
- Cook for 2 minutes in the microwave.
Customize your pumpkin mug cake
- Add chocolate! White, butterscotch, dark chocolate, peanut butter, toffee, etc. The possibilities are endless. I always add mini chocolate chips to mine. I have also used chocolate covered soft caramels and other types of boxed chocolates. YUM.
- For a dairy free option, simply substitute with a non-dairy liquid. I like regular cows milk because of the fat content, I have not tried this recipe with a non-dairy substitute or water.
- Adding chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts is great for a delicious extra crunch.
It’s always worth it to have another mug cake recipe in your repertoire.
More Fall Dessert Recipes to try:
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodles
- Apple Cinnamon Scones with Maple Caramel Glaze
The option below features a Sanders Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel from Costco, my personal favorite way to enjoy a caramel stuffed pumpkin mug cake.
Caramel Stuffed Pumpkin Mug Cake
Caramel Stuffed Pumpkin Mug Cake is my FAVORITE quick and easy fall dessert. This fluffy mug cake is ready in less than 5 minutes!
- 3 Tablespoons Milk I use 2%
- 2 Tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- pinch clove
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 4 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 soft caramels
- 1 Tablespoon miniature chocolate chips optional
In a 12 oz. microwave safe mug, combine milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, and sugar.
Add cinnamon, ginger, clove, nutmeg, and salt. Can substitute with 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Mix well.
Add flour and baking powder, and stir until combined. Don't overmix, it will result in a chewy, less fluffy mug cake. Place caramels one on top of the other in the center of the batter and press down slightly until only the top of the caramel is showing. Don't push all the way under the batter.
Microwave on high power for 2 minutes. Sometimes the mug cake rises a little above the edge of the mug, it shrinks back down as it cools. It's never overflowed for me.