Butterscotch Pumpkin Cake is a perfect last minute cake or potluck fall dessert. A favorite Thanksgiving dessert with a crunchy sugar topping.
If you're a fan of pumpkin recipes, this is a fun and easy one! I'm partial to Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls but if I don't have the time those require, this cake is amazing!
Pumpkin Butterscotch Cake
Pumpkin Butterscotch Cake is the perfect fall dessert or last minute Thanksgiving treat that is NOT pie... for those who don't like it. Weirdos. Everyone is allowed their opinions though. Inspired by a lovely friends recipe, this is my new pumpkin flavor combo. Pumpkin and butterscotch were made to be together. My old favorite is pumpkin and caramel, as so lovingly featured in my super quick Caramel Stuffed Pumpkin Mug Cake.
Here's the basic list of what you'll need for this cake.
- Canned Pumpkin
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder & baking soda
- Butterscotch chips
Step By step Instructions
I've broken down how to make this recipe into simple steps, but the full list of instructions is in the recipe card below.
- Combine all wet ingredients (plus brown sugar) in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in melted butter because butter is delicious.
- Add the dry ingredients.
- After transferring the batter to the baking pan, I sprinkle on the butterscotch chips and white sugar. Adding sugar to the top is a MUST. Why you may ask? It gives it a delightful little crunchy topping after it's baked that is so delicious!
- Bake! 350 F for approximately 30 minutes.
Tips for Pumpkin Butterscotch Cake:
- Don't overmix! I say this in all of my recipes that involve baking powder. The more you mix, the tougher and chewier the cake can be. Stir to combine, and stop stirring once there are no flour pockets left.
- Customize! Use white chocolate chips or semi sweet chocolate chips and your favorite type of nut as a topping! I love pecans with this cake, but walnuts or almonds would be delicious too.
Make sure you pin the recipe and comment/rate the recipe if you enjoyed it! Sharing is caring!
Other Favorite Fall Recipes to try:
I have pumpkin recipes and caramel fall recipes for you to try!
- Caramel Stuffed Pumpkin Mug Cake
- Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodles
- Chewy Ginger Snaps
Butterscotch Pumpkin Cake
- 1 (15 oz.) can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- ⅓ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 9X13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, greek yogurt, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in melted butter last.
- On top of wet ingredients, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and butterscotch chips. Mix until combined and no flour pockets are left. Be careful not to overmix, or your cake will be tough and chewy.
- Bake at 350 F for 30-33 min, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Light or glass pans may take a few minutes longer to bake than dark pans.
Thank you for sharing this delightfully easy, mouthwateringly delicious recipe. Have baked this cake several times since I first tried it a few weeks back and it’s been a huge success each time!