The Best Cream Cheese Pumpkin Pie, featuring a flaky cream cheese pie crust. The very best pumpkin pie I have ever made, with fluffy whipped cream on top.
My husband the mancub has immensely enjoyed the testing of this recipe. He likes to eat pie for breakfast, especially around Thanksgiving. Although it's not hard to please his palate, I can definitely say that this is a tried and true, no fail pumpkin pie.
Tips for the BEST EVER pumpkin pie:
- Start by whipping the eggs and brown sugar in a stand mixer until doubled in volume and fluffy. This will give the custard base a little more volume and make the pie a little lighter. Fold in the other ingredients gently.
- Add vanilla! This boosts all the good spice flavors and is a no brainer. It also isn't listed on any can recipe that I've seen.
- Use a cream cheese pie crust! This pie crust recipe takes any pie to new heights of deliciousness.
- Blind-bake your crust before filling to prevent raw pastry. Don't worry, doing it correctly won't burn it. Instructions in recipe below.
- Use cream cheese in the recipe! Trust me on this one. You'd think it would make the pie too rich but it doesn't and it tastes amazing.
- Pull the pie out of the oven when 3-4 inches of the outside are set, and the middle is slightly jiggly. The pie will continue to cook as it cools, and will set completely.
Getting a picture of fluffy eggs and brown sugar in a moving mixer is harder than it looks (took me 20-30 pictures to get a decent not-too-blurry one!). But I wanted you to be able to see consistency we're going for.
Below is when you should take your pumpkin pie out of the oven. I usually bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, then at 375 F 35-40 minutes. I have also baked at 375 for 1 hour 15 minutes before and it worked just fine. Every oven is different, you may need more or less time.
I don't test internal temperature of the pie because I don't like leaving holes in my pie. I go by sight and it's never failed me. Just be sure to cool completely before slicing!
For a perfect crust, try out my Cream Cheese Pie Crust Recipe!
📝 Printable Recipe
Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 9 inch pie crust, unbaked Cream Cheese Pie Crust Recipe: https://eatdessertsnack.com/cream-cheese-pie-crust/
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature.
- 1 (15 oz) can 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ cup milk or heavy cream
- whipped cream topping (optional)
To Blind Bake Crust
- Preheat oven to 400Prepare pie crust in 9 inch pie pan.Line the crust with parchment paper and fill with 1-2 cups dried beans or rice. Bake crust at 400 F for 15 -20 minutes, until crust has set but not started browning. Cool completely and remove dried beans/rice and parchment paper before pouring in pumpkin pie filling.
For the Pie:
- Keep oven at 400 F. In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, begin whipping the eggs on medium high speed. Add brown sugar ¼ cup at a time, waiting about 20 seconds in between each addition. Turn mixer up to high speed for 1-2 minutes, or until egg mixture is light and fluffy and doubled in volume. It won't be stiff, just fluffy.
- Add room temperature cream cheese, beating until well combined and there are no lumps left.
- Gently fold in pumpkin puree, vanilla, and spices. Stir in milk or cream last. Pour into cooled pie crust and line edges with foil ( I lay 4 squares underneath the pan and fold up around the edges).
- Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375 for 35-45 minutes. When 3-4 inches of the outside of the pie are set, remove from oven. The center will be slightly jiggly and continue to cook as it cools. Cool completely before serving, at least 4 hours or overnight. Top with whipped cream and enjoy!