Banana Nut Oatmeal for two is an easy, healthy oatmeal recipe and it’s gluten free and vegan. Add vanilla, nuts and fruit of choice. Add peanut butter or greek yogurt for a little extra protein!
This healthy oatmeal recipe is one of my absolute favorites for breakfast because it’s so easy to customize. My personal favorite is with bananas and pecans or walnuts and a drizzle of honey or agave nectar, but I’ve made it gluten free and vegan with blueberries, strawberries, and peaches and it’s delicious.
Disclaimer: I’m not a particularly healthy person. That is, I love to eat healthy foods, but don’t eat exclusively organic, paleo, vegan, etc. That being said, here are some of my best tips for making healthy, simple oatmeal that you’ll come back to again and again.
Tips for making the best oatmeal:
- Use old fashioned, regular oats. MUCH better texture than quick oats.
- Cook stovetop! It seriously only takes 5 minutes and tastes better.
- Add vanilla extract for the BEST oatmeal ever. It makes a difference!
- Don’t add processed sugars. Instead, add sweet fruits, honey, cinnamon, or pure maple syrup.
- Add a tablespoon of peanut butter or plain greek yogurt for a little extra protein.
The best healthy oatmeal recipes don’t need extra sugar, I prefer homemade oatmeal over the pre-made store mixes any day!
Banana Nut Oatmeal
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1 banana, sliced and divided in half.
- optional, honey or pure maple syrup
- In a pot, bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in oats and 1/2 of sliced banana, and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Divide into two bowls and top oatmeal with pecans and other half of the banana. (optional) drizzle honey on top for a sweet finish.